Mercedes-Benz represents the ultimate in luxury vehicles, but you don’t have to be wealthy to enjoy the prestige and status of owning one. You can buy a used Mercedes and benefit from the quality engineering, performance, and state-of-the-art technology the German brand is known for. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of a pre-owned Mercedes, plus offer car shopping and buying tips to help you find a superior luxury car.
Benefits of Buying a Used Mercedes
Owning a Mercedes puts you in an exclusive class. Nonetheless, the brand is more than just a name; it represents the best in German engineering. Some of the greatest perks include:
- Reliability: Over 100 years of quality car-making has given Mercedes-Benz an excellent reputation for dependability. Its vehicles are known for reliable performance, although the maintenance costs can be quite steep. However, there is a way around this. The company offers a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program that covers routine maintenance and provides warranty coverage.
- Advanced Features/Technology: The brand has always been known for being innovative. In today’s models, you’ll find multi-contour seats, heated front seats, and Crosswind Assist included in bigger models to help improve control in high winds. Mercedes also uses cabin filters designed to remove pollen from the air, and therefore create an allergy-free interior.
- Higher Depreciation: Depending on the model and year, the vehicle’s price may decline substantially. For example, 2017 models saw a 14.76% year-over-year price decrease. This is not the case with every model year. The rate of decline for a 2013 model is just 11.30%. If you’re lucky, you can pay just over half the original cost of the vehicle.
- Safety Features: The company has put lots of attention into continuously improving safety. Crumple zones isolate the cabin to protect drivers/passengers, while an advanced, multipoint air bag system protects the head, knees, and various other body parts. Accident preventative systems include ATTENTION ASSIST, which senses whether a driver is fatigued and alerts them to stop and rest.
How to Buy a Used Mercedes
Once you know what you can afford and have a specific model in mind, these car buying tips can improve your chances of finding what you need:
- Check online reviews and ratings on sites that deal exclusively with Mercedes vehicles. Car forums, such as BenzWorld.org, are also good sources of information.
- Run a vehicle history report using the car’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The report verifies the car’s mileage, maintenance history, and whether it was in a flood or receive a salvage title.
- Set up a pre-purchase inspection at a professional auto shop or an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership (of your choosing, not the seller’s). A mechanic can spot any hidden problems and repair any critical issues.
Popular Used Mercedes Models
If you’re shopping for a used car, here are some popular Mercedes models worth considering.
- 2008-2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class: A four-door sport-luxury sedan highly regarded for its superior handling and steering response. It also has high safety ratings. With a little maintenance, an older model can meet all your expectations.
- 2010 Mercedes-Benz C-Class: Considered one of the more affordable Mercedes models, it’s not known for having all the latest gadgets. However, it has a classic body, panoramic sunroof, and 12-speaker sound system.
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz E-Class: The luxury mid-size sedan made U.S. News & World Report’s “Most Reliable Used Cars Under $20,000” list. A standard V6 engine, and a twin-turbocharged V8 option, plus great safety, reliability, and comfort scores, mean this one is worth a look.
Contact Hawthorne Auto Square
Search our Mercedes inventory and visit Hawthorne Auto Square. We are open during the coronavirus pandemic and have implemented social distancing and enhanced sanitizing procedures. Our Buy Here Pay Here car dealership, one of the largest and most trusted in Hawthorne, has a wide range of luxury vehicles at great prices. To find a car that meets your needs and learn about our warranty and financing options, call us at 866-707-7664 today!