When buying a used SUV for sale in Los Angeles, there are many things to consider to ensure you purchase the best vehicle for your needs. Hawthorne Auto Square offers many popular models, including the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander, and others. Used SUVs are available at lower prices than new ones. Therefore, budgeting for a vehicle with more features is possible. But first, you must know what to look for; these are some of the top considerations.
The Type of SUV You Want
The acronym SUV refers to sport-utility vehicle, but what was once a truck with a large cabin is now more of a range of vehicle types and styles. What they have in common is an elevated ride height, a hatchback body style, and an extended roofline. Here’s a look at the different types of SUVs to consider:
- Subcompact SUVs: Although these sit higher above the road surface, they are derived from car platforms and include models such as the Volkswagen Taos, Chevrolet Trailblazer, and Mazda CX-30.
- Compact SUVs: These are suited for small families and have ample space for rear passengers. The Mazda CX-50, Honda CR-V, and Jeep Wrangler are examples.
- Small 3-Row SUVs: Although space is tight, you can use the third row occasionally in vehicles like the Kia Sorento, Volkswagen Tiguan, or Mitsubishi Outlander.
- Midsize SUVs: These have more cargo space and legroom than smaller models and often more engine power and towing strength. They include the Toyota 4Runner, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Hyundai Santa Fe.
- Midsize 3-Row SUVs: They’re suited for families with kids that don’t need a minivan but want power and comfort for long-distance travel (i.e., the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Volkswagen Atlas).
- Large SUVs: Once the preferred class of SUVs, these seat seven or eight passengers and offer more truck-like performance and handling. They include the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition, and Toyota Sequoia.
The electric SUV segment is becoming a larger force in today’s market. Improvements in range and more budget-friendly pricing are making electric SUVs more practical. Some have all-wheel drive or include it as an option. Nonetheless, depending on your needs and preferences, various electric models are available.
Before you start shopping around for a used SUV for sale, it’s important to know the price range you can afford. Most people don’t have enough cash for a used vehicle. However, getting pre-approved for a car loan helps to know what you can spend. Pre-approval can speed up the buying process and reveal credit issues you can work on before purchasing the vehicle.
Space is among the top reasons to choose an SUV. Most SUVs seat between five and nine passengers. However, the seating capacity doesn’t equal comfort, especially if it’s a smaller model that crams more people in. Smaller models may only comfortably seat two adults in the back. If you’re seeking comfort, go for a midsize SUV or larger, while 3-row SUVs vary in the amount of third-row space and larger truck-like models have more elbow room and legroom.
Cargo space is another great benefit of a sport-utility vehicle. The amount of cargo room varies with the model; some SUVs compromise cargo space with alternate styling or a larger rear seat. If you’re looking for more cargo space, look at the height of the rear bumper (too high, and loading cargo will be challenging) and how low the rear seats fold (the more flush they are, the more space you’ll have).
Depending on the buyer, an infotainment system can be a make-or-break feature. Many SUVs have a 7- or 8-inch touchscreen display; larger luxury models may have a 10-inch+ display. Look for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, USB charging ports, and rear entertainment systems with overhead or seat-mounted displays.
Safety and Driver Assistance Features
Despite an elevated height and excellent forward view, SUVs tend to have limited side and rear visibility. Blind-spot monitors, front and rear parking sensors, rearview cameras, and rear cross-traffic alerts are some features to look for. Meanwhile, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control can provide a smoother driving experience.
Additional aspects to consider before buying a used SUV for sale include:
- Fuel Economy: A heavier SUV often needs more gas to power it, so fuel prices can be a concern. Smaller turbocharged engines can be more economical, depending on your driving style, the number of passengers, and how much cargo you have.
- Handling: A higher center of gravity and increased weight can affect handling and cause the vehicle to tilt due to quick maneuvers or aggressive driving. Stopping time is another consideration. All-wheel drive doesn’t affect stopping distance, but it improves traction.
- The Vehicle’s Condition: A vehicle history or mechanical report will tell you a lot. If the dealership doesn’t provide as much detail as you’d like, take the SUV to an independent mechanic. Also, make your own observations. Does the vehicle seem worn out on the outside or inside? Check the mileage too, but high mileage isn’t always a bad thing if the vehicle is in good shape; extremely low mileage can mean it was infrequently used or neglected.
Find a Used SUV for Sale at Hawthorne Auto Square
We have many makes and models available, including budget-friendly compact crossovers and luxury SUVs. Hawthorne Auto Square vast SUV selection allows you to find a vehicle that suits your wants and needs. You’ll find convenient low-interest and low down payment financing options at our buy here, pay here dealership, plus a comprehensive service and maintenance warranty. If you’re seeking a high-quality used SUV for sale, visit us at 11646 Praire Ave. in Hawthorne, CA, or call (866) 707-7664 today.