It’s May and the weather is warming up. As they say, ‘tis the season to be on the road, so if you’re ready to buy a car, here are some tips that can help.
As May breaks in, you may want to look for cheap cars near you. Therefore, it’s important to think about when is the best time of the month to buy a car and what you should consider when doing so.
What to Look for When Buying a Car
Knowing what to look for is important. Narrow down your list of options based on price, how a car reflects your style, and its safety features. The latest model years have automated safety features including backup cameras, braking assist, lane departure warnings, and collision avoidance systems.
Once you determine what you can afford, look for cars in that range. You can check pricing online on our website or Kelley Blue Book, you can view invoice price, MSRP price, and the Fair Purchase Price. Then research the car’s quality, safety, and other aspects in comparison to other vehicles. Pricing is also impacted by options such as extra equipment and add-on packages; the more you get, the more you’ll pay for, but buying used can help offset this (more on that later).
Car Purchase Considerations
Asking the right questions can save you hundreds, or even thousands of dollars. When buying a car, consider:
- Dealership fees, including documentation fees, registration costs, and sales tax; ask your dealer to break these down for you.
- The cost of insuring your vehicle; dealerships often require proof of insurance prior to a sale. Whenever you buy a used car, it must be insured before you drive it.
- The vehicle history report, which shows its accident history, if it was in a flood, the odometer was rolled back, or it has a salvage title (or was declared a total insurance loss).
- A vehicle inspection by a mechanic, so you are informed of leaks, unreported accidents, or issues that haven’t been repaired, or whether the car is worth purchasing.
- Negotiate with the dealership, based on factors such as the car’s accident history, current condition, failed inspections, etc.
- Take a test drive, with a checklist in mind to consider legroom, noise, handling, comfort, and usability of touchscreens, radios, and other technology features.
- Ask if the car is covered under a warranty; look for manufacturer’s warranties as well as coverage for repairs by the dealer.
Another way to get a solid deal is to pass on a new car. Most used cars are two or three years old, haven’t been leased by drivers intent on caring for them. They’re also designed to last longer than the cars of the past.
Buy Used Cars in Hawthorne
At Hawthorne Auto Square, we have an extensive inventory of vehicle types, makes, and models. In addition to affordable prices and aggressive financing, you can depend on our caring sales team to help find what you want and need. Our vehicles also undergo rigorous inspections to make sure they’re road ready. To buy a used car this May 2019, stop by our dealership or call our sales team at 866-707-7664 for assistance.